Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Typical day in PreK

I thought I would put my daily basics out their for those who are looking for a jumping off point. Our "school" day starts roughly between 8:30-9am it depends on what time my husband leaves. The first thing we do is check the weather (helpful when planning outside time in the afternoon) We have a simple little bulletin board where we have a calendar and weather center we usethese I taped yarn loops to the backs so my daughter just has to put the loop on the tack. We then change the date, day and month if applicable. for this I have simple index cards where I wrote it all out we keep them in a ziploc tacked to the board. We then recite our bible verse (generally spend 2 weeks on one verse) I then generally have 2-3 worksheets either printed out or from books that she does while I prep breakfast and tend to my 16mth old. I have a simple file folder that says "today" on it where I keep her morning worksheets. After breakfast I let her spend about 30-45 mins on starfall while I clean up and play with the baby, check email etc. Around 10-10:30 the little one goes down for am nap and we work on more hands on stuff such as crafts, our abc project, flash cards etc. At this point unless she asks to do something else I let her have freeplay till lunch. Lunch usually happens between 12-12:30 I try to plan meals that can go with our lesson.. Like apples for A or red, a star shaped sandwich for our shape (you get the idea) After lunch we spend about 20-40 mins on what I call "core skill" this is the skill that we want to master (or try to master by weeks end) this can be anything from sequencing to rhyming words etc. We then spend about 10-15 minutes on penmanship and tracing. We then wrap up with "circle time" we have a book of the day and discuss our feelings, ideas, dreams etc. I ask simple comprehension questions about the story and sometimes have an art activity. Around 2-2:30 my 16mth old goes down for her pm nap and we go outside have free play, nature walk around the house, have a scavenger hunt.. and the newest is the retaining wall that she says is her "outside chalkboard" She loves learning and generally asks for more work, more crafts etc. I keep a good stock of supplies so I can make something up or we love the craft ideashere. I do allow for rest if she is sleepy, Tv time if she is not abusing it or if we plan to watch something educational. We do have days where she simply is distracted and wants to do nothing. We call these pajama days.. and lets face sometimes Mommy needs those days too.

This is a photo of one of our projects we did today for our school room wall and for number recognition.
Here is our bulletin board (to show our date/weather center)

No comments:

Post a Comment