Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Developing a lesson Plan

Their are several objectives to creating a lesson plan that will work for your child. You can find plenty of free lesson plans on the web but sometimes you just want to do your own thing.

I have sort of developed my own guide to writing a lesson plan.

  • what is the goal?
  • what are the required materials?
  • what are the step by step procedures to accomplish said goal?
  • what basics (as in abc's, 123's etc) are you going to incorporate?
  • what do you have for the child to work on independently when instruction is done.
  • how will you close the activity, what will you review.
Now for a real example of a lesson plan we used last week
  1. The goal: re-introduce a favorite book Chicka chicka boom boom & review alphabet
  2. Materials needed: The book, Markers & printout of traceable coloring page of a coconut tree.
  3. Step by step procedures: read book allowing child to say the letter when I point to it, encourage letter sounds, encourage tracing carefully and coloring creatively but carefully in the lines.
  4. The basics covered: letter recognition, listening and recalling pars of the story & Tracing
  5. Independent work: tracing and coloring tree
  6. Close the activity by reviewing favorite parts of the book & encouragement for a job well done
Now I don't always write it all out sometimes its a plan in my head depending on complexity of the lesson. I do like to make sure I have a few things jotted down monthly in case I need to obtain a new book or supplies. I find lesson planning extra helpful for math & science.

No comments:

Post a Comment